In keeping with the University of Chicago’s commitment to diversity, Career Advancement offers career resources for students and alumni of diverse populations. If you ever experience discrimination by an employer or anyone else participating in Career Advancement programming, please immediately notify us at (773) 702-7040 and the Bias Response Team at (773) 834-HELP(4357). General resources for international students, LGBTQ students, students of color, students with disabilities, and women are listed on this page. For more information on population-targeted resources, please make an appointment with a Career Advancement adviser.
Career Advancement services are available to international students at the University of Chicago. The Office of International Affairs is the primary source for information about visas and legal issues for international students who wish to work and live in the United States. Contact a career adviser for a list of past employers that have hired University of Chicago international students.
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) information from the Office of International Affairs
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) information from the Office of International Affairs
While the University of Chicago is overall a supportive environment, with a non-discrimination clause and multiple resources across campus, students may find that the acceptance, support, and resources vary dramatically in different work environments. Students may have questions about how to navigate identity at work, how to handle the interview process, and how to tell if an employer is LGBTQ friendly. The resources listed below can help you tackle these questions. Career Advancement counselors are also available to discuss your concerns with you. Make an appointment to discuss your targeted job or internship search.
- UChicago Office of LGBTQ Student Life
- LGBT alumni network
- Sexual Orientation and Career Decision Making
Career Advancement endeavors to support all students in exploring a wide variety of career options. We provide support at any stage of your degree program and welcome students from across the university. To discuss your targeted job or internship search, please make an appointment.
- UChicago Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA)
- UChicago Association of Black Alumni
- National Association of Asian American Professionals
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities National Internship Program
- Student Support Services, including the University’s FAQ regarding support for undocumented students
Students with Disabilities
Career Advancement is committed to helping students with disabilities navigate the unique challenges they face as they enter the workforce. Please schedule an appointment with one of our counselors to discuss any concerns, especially if you have questions about if, how, or when you should disclose your disability to a potential employer. For questions about accessibility at Career Advancement events, please contact Melissa Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-702-7119.
- UChicago Student Disability Services
- UChicago Disability Job Listhost
- Career Opportunities for Students with Disabilities (COSD) Career Gateway
We encourage women of all backgrounds to schedule an appointment to see a Career Advancement counselor to discuss any concerns they have about gender and the workplace.