Careers in Healthcare advisers look forward to working with you to assist you in achieving your goal of becoming a health care practitioner. One of the ways in which we assist our applicants is through a structured Health and Medicine Application Process (HMAP). Those who complete the full HMAP will receive a mock interview and a cover letter conveying the University’s endorsement of your application. If you plan to move directly from the College to professional school, you will engage in the HMAP during your third year in the College. If you plan to take 1 gap year, you should engage in the HMAP process during your fourth year in the College, and so on.
The process of applying to schools of the health professions is a deadline-driven process. Our HMAP process is designed in the same way, in order to prepare you for the expectations that lie ahead. It's important to adhere to the deadlines - exceptions and extensions are not given. HMAP details are communicated via the CIH email newsletter. Please ensure you're receiving our e-mails. We communicate regarding the start of the process beginning in late September each year. If you have not heard from us by October 1st, be sure to check your junk filters or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exact deadlines will be communicated each year, but below is an overview of what to expect:
- You must attend Application Seminar I, which is offered on two different dates during October and November to accommodate schedules. During this seminar we review the full HMAP and national application processes and communicate upcoming deadlines
- Application Seminar II: Writing the Personal Statement will be presented. Though not required, we strongly encourage all to attend
- By December 1st at 5:00 p.m. CST you must confirm your intent to apply within the Slate software system
- By late January (exact deadline will be communicated each year) you must complete the HMAP Application within Slate
- Following completion, you are eligible for a mock interview with a member of the HMAP team. Sign-ups occur over a 1-week period in late January. Interviews themselves take place in February and March
- By the end of Winter Quarter you are required to solicit all necessary individual letters of recommendation
- Individual letters of recommendation will be due on May 15th
- National application processes open in May/June
- Once you have submitted your national application, you will email us to formally request your Institutional Endorsement Letter
All current students are eligible for an Institutional Endorsement letter, provided they meet the deadlines provided. We do not have GPA or MCAT minimum thresholds in order to remain eligible. However, applicants with a GPA (either science or overall) below a 3.5 and/or an MCAT score below a 510 are strongly encouraged to meet with us to discuss whether this is the right time to apply or if additional preparation may be beneficial.
Given we conduct the required seminar via Zoom, alumni are also expected to attend the scheduled sessions. If you are unable to be at the seminars for a significant reason, you must email email@example.com prior to the first session. Please include in your email your full name, email address, and graduation year.
Reapplicants and Those Who Started the Process, but Did Not Apply
If you went through any part of the HMAP process in a prior year but did not apply, you must repeat the entire process. Information about the application cycle changes every single year and we want to be sure you have all of the information you need to be a successful candidate.
If you are a reapplicant (meaning you submitted your primary application--whether you withdrew later or were unsuccessful in the process), you are not required to re-do the entire process but you are required to schedule an appointment with your regular adviser by the end of March to discuss your past cycle and strategy moving forward.