The Social Sector Leaders Program is a one-year selective track for a cohort of undergraduate students. This program is intended for students interested in deepening their understanding of the complexity of social problems; while developing their professional capacity to effectively drive social change. Students participating in this program have professional interest in a variety of social sector fields: Social Administration, Social Policy and Evaluation and Non-Profit Management.
The Social Sector Leaders Program is designed to enhance the careers of students interested in the social sector. Selected students will attend exclusive faculty workshops and learn from experienced professionals about social problems, assist with organizational change by applying their knowledge in internship opportunities, partake in domestic or global treks to gain firsthand knowledge on what social service organizations are doing in the field.
Program Features & Requirements
Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy and Practice coursework
- Selective track students will complete optional SSA courses that equip students with critical thinking skills necessary to advocate for marginalized communities and challenge students to think broader when facing complex social issues in the field.
Faculty and Employer Workshops
- Attend quarterly required workshops and discuss topics on a variety of current issues while learning from social work experts how to handle societies most pressing social problems. Workshops will reflect the 5 themes of Social Service Administration undergraduate minor: Communities and Cities, Global and Migration, Poverty, Family and Work, Law and Social Justice and Health and Mental Health.
- Apply your knowledge and skills in an internship opportunity that contributes to serving the needs of vulnerable populations in numerous social sector organizations, both domestically and internationally.
- Partake in one career trek and visit local or international organizations and witness firsthand how these organizations are solving social problems.
Social Sector Leadership Competition
- As a future professional Social Worker, what would you do to change society? Propose and solve a social problem by designing programs that will create access and resources for a population in need. Students will work in small teams and will be judged by a faculty and employer panel on creativity, effectiveness, and sustainability.
Congratulations to the winners of the Social Sector Leadership Competition for AY21-22
Rishabh Shastry & Michael Guilmette
Social Service Connect
- Join Alumni from the School of Social Service Administration and community partners in the Social Service Connect event and speak to professional social workers in a variety of industries. Don’t forget to bring your resume!
Information about next year's Social Sector Leaders cohort will be available soon. Current First, Second, and Third-Year students are eligible to apply.
Please contact Ruthie Robinson at email@example.com with questions about the Social Sector Leaders Program.