The Social Sector Leaders Program is a one-year selective track for a cohort of undergraduate students. This program is intended for students interested in deepening their understanding of the complexity of social problems; while developing their professional capacity to effectively drive social change. Students participating in this program have professional interest in a variety of social sector fields, including Social Administration, Social Policy and Evaluation and Non-Profit Management.
The Social Sector Leaders Program is designed to enhance the careers of students interested in the social sector. Selected students will attend exclusive faculty workshops and learn from experienced professionals about social problems, assist with organizational change by applying their knowledge in internship opportunities, partake in domestic or global treks to gain firsthand knowledge on what social service organizations are doing in the field.
Program Features & Requirements
Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice Coursework
- Selective track students can complete optional Crown Family School courses that equip students with critical thinking skills necessary to advocate for marginalized communities and challenge students to think broader when facing complex social issues in the field.
Faculty and Employer Workshops
- Attend quarterly required workshops and discuss topics on a variety of current issues while learning from social work experts how to handle societies most pressing social problems. Workshops will reflect the 5 themes of the Inequality, Social Problems, and Change undergraduate minor: Communities and Cities, Global and Migration, Poverty, Family and Work, Law and Social Justice and Health and Mental Health.
- Apply your knowledge and skills in an internship opportunity that contributes to serving the needs of vulnerable populations in numerous social sector organizations, both domestically and internationally.
- Partake in one career trek and visit local or international organizations and witness firsthand how these organizations are solving social problems.
Social Sector Leadership Symposium
- As a future professional Social Worker, what would you do to change society? Propose and solve a social problem by designing programs that will create access and resources for a population in need. Students will work in small teams and will be judged by a faculty and employer panel on creativity, effectiveness, and sustainability.
Social Service Connect
- Join Alumni from the Crown Family School and community partners in the Social Service Connect event and speak to professional social workers in a variety of industries. Don’t forget to bring your resume!
Applications for the Social Sector Leaders cohort are now open! Apply here by Friday, May 20th, 2022.
Current first, second, and third year students are eligible to apply.
Wednesday, April 6th from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Register in Handshake
Wednesday, May 11th from 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Register in Handshake
Please contact Kiah Williamson at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the Social Sector Leaders Program.