Applications now open for the 2017-2018 program! Click here to access the UChicago Handshake listing.
Liew Family College Research Fellows Fund
Thanks to a generous gift from John (AB’89, MBA’95, Ph.D’96, University Trustee) and Serena Liew (AB’89), the Liew Family College Research Fellows Fund provides grants to support undergraduate students who have secured unpaid, academic-year research opportunities with UChicago faculty members.
Currently enrolled students from all class years are eligible to apply for a grant from the Liew Family College Research Fellows Fund. Students from all majors may apply. 50% of grants will be reserved for students majoring in computer science, 25% will be reserved for students majoring in a Humanities field, and 25% will be reserved for students majoring in all other disciplines.
To qualify, students must have secured an unpaid opportunity to work as a research assistant for a UChicago faculty member. The proposed project should provide students with substantive research responsibilities and limited clerical or administrative tasks.
Independent research projects and opportunities with non-UChicago researchers are not eligible. The fund also does not support projects in which the faculty member is only loosely involved (e.g., a BA thesis project).
*Important note: students must be activated for on-campus recruiting in order to apply. To get activated, make an appointment to have your resume reviewed by a Career Advancement counselor and sign the on-campus recruiting policy agreement. If you are seeing the error message “Additional special criteria have been set by your career center. Please contact them for more information” when you view the program listing on UChicago Handshake, then you have not yet been activated.
Award amounts will vary depending on the project and the number of hours students expect to be working. Students may request funding for research opportunities during Winter Quarter, Spring Quarter, or both. On average, successful applicants will receive a grant of $1,000 for one quarter of research and $2,000 for two quarters of research.
The deadline to apply is 11:55pm on Monday, November 20, 2017.
All students will submit their application through UChicago Handshake. The following materials are required:
- A resume, no longer than one page
- A description of your proposed research project, no longer than two pages
- A personal statement explaining how this research supports your future career goals, no longer than one page
The resume should provide a one-page summary of your academic and professional experiences to date. For a detailed overview on how to prepare an effective resume, visit Career Advancement’s Resume & Interview toolkit or make an appointment to have your resume reviewed by a Career Advancement counselor.
Research Project Description
In your project description, please provide a concise summary of the research you’ll be working on. Be sure to:
- Identify the faculty member that has agreed to work with you
- Specify the approximate number of hours per week you anticipate working AND whether you are seeking funding for Winter Quarter, Spring Quarter, or both
- Provide an overview of the research project and its goals using language that is accessible to a reader who is not familiar with your discipline
- Explain what specific responsibilities you will have as a research assistant
You will use your personal statement to explain why you want to participate in this project and how it will advance your career goals. Some potential items that you can discuss in your statement include:
- Knowledge and skills that you will gain
- Publication opportunities
- How this project can help you clarify your academic and professional interests
- Opportunities to present your research or attend conferences
- How this project will prepare you for a professional career or graduate studies in your field
Grant Recipient Responsibilities
All students who are selected for the grant will be required to attend the Liew Family College Research Fellows reception in Spring Quarter. Students will receive more details closer to the date.
Please contact Melinda Markert at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the Liew Family College Research Fellows Fund.