Planning Resources and Involvement for Students in the Majors (or PRISM) aims to support the educational goals of the College. It addresses four major goals of a liberal arts education, particularly at a research university:
- Building a departmental, intellectual home for undergraduate majors
- Increasing student awareness of career resources and services
- Helping students understand and articulate the skills and knowledge gained through their liberal arts education that make them highly employable.
- Providing effective career counseling
In order to achieve its multi-faceted goals, PRISM utilizes a team approach to programming and advising in the majors. Each team consists of the Chair of Undergraduate studies, a graduate student preceptor, and the Career Advancement PRISM Administrator.
PRISM serves students in 13 majors:
Anthropology, Art History, Cinema and Media Studies, Comparative Human Development, Creative Writing, English Language and Literature, History, Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities, Linguistics, Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, Philosophy/Allied Fields, Psychology, and Sociology.
One of the highlights of the program are the department-specific programs, previous events include:
- Psychology Department Lab Night: A night for students interested in gaining laboratory experience to be introduced to faculty and their labs.
- Art History Department Visual Resources Tour: Tour and introduction by the curator to the Visual Resources Center. This tour introduces students to resources that are available to them, and also introduces students to a possible career option.
- “History at Your Front Door”: A tour of the Du Sable Museum, as well as discussions of relevant current historical events
- English Department Tour of the University Press
There are two grant programs connected to PRISM: the PRISM Resarch Grant and the Seidel Scholars PRISM Grant. Both grants offer PRISM students the chance to pursue their research and professional goals.
For questions about the PRISM Program, please contact Nelida Garcia at email@example.com.