Thanks to a generous gift from a College alumnus and his firm, a grant program has been created to assist Odyssey Scholars who have secured unpaid summer internships and require financial support. Grant amounts will vary, but most recipients will receive approximately $4,000 to fund their summer living expenses.
To be eligible for the grant, students must:
- Be a University of Chicago Odyssey Scholar
- Be activated for on-campus recruiting. If you are not OCR activated, please schedule an appointment to have your resume reviewed by a Career Advancement counselor by logging in to UChicago Handshake
Note: If you are seeing the error message “Additional special criteria have been set by your career center. Please contact them for more information” when you view the program listing on UChicago Handshake, then you have not yet been activated.
In order to be eligible for funding the proposed experience must meet the following standards:
1) Your professional experience must take place during summer 2017 (June 12-September 23)
2) Your professional experience must be at least 10 weeks long
3) You must work at least 40 hours weekly (400 hours over the summer). If you will be working fewer hours, but your professional experience meets all other criteria, you may apply. Make sure that you specify how many hours you will be working in your application material.
4) You must have a direct supervisor
5) You must perform work that provides you with a substantive professional experience
6) Your experience must be unpaid or receive very small compensation
7) All organizations are eligible for funding under this grant, including government agencies and for-profit organizations. There are two exceptions: 1) the organization is on the State Department list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations or otherwise sanctioned or monitored by the U.S. Government; 2) the organization was formed for the purpose of supporting a candidate for political office. Because the University is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization under the tax code, it is prohibited from participating in political campaign activities
8) Research Assistant positions are also eligible for funding
1. First, you should secure your summer internship offer. If you have not yet identified an internship that you would like to pursue, please schedule an appointment with Career Advancement to discuss organizations to which you would like to apply (https://careeradvancement.uchicago.edu/).
2. Separately, submit a one-page double-spaced (approximately 250 words) statement in which you:
- Describe the internship or professional experience you are hoping to pursue
- Explain to the funding selection committee why you anticipate needing additional support
- Explain to the funding selection committee how this internship opportunity will support your academic or professional growth
- Include your full name, student ID number, and the organization or internship program to which you have applied on this statement
3. Upload a resume (1 page only with a standard font of at least 11pt. – additional pages will not be reviewed).
4. Provide an offer letter from your employer.
Your statement should be submitted through UChicago Handshake. A link to the listing will be posted closer to the date.
Note: by applying to the grant, you give College Aid permission to discuss your financial status with Career Advancement and verify that you are an Odyssey Scholar.
Applications are due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, April 9, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Only the material submitted by the deadline will be considered. No documentation or updates sent after the deadline will be taken into account during the selection process.
Students will be notified by April 28, 2017 whether or not they have received a grant.
Please note: the selection committee’s decisions are final and cannot be appealed. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Please email Chiara Montanari at firstname.lastname@example.org or schedule an appointment with a Career Advancement adviser.
Looking for the Study Abroad Scholarships for Odyssey Scholars? Please visit the Study Abroad’s Scholarships and Grants webpage.