Launch Your Computer Science Career Today!
Careers in Computer Science prepares students for successful careers in software engineering, data science, technical product management, and related fields. The program welcomes students of all majors and class years.
Careers in Computer Science works closely with the University’s world-class Department of Computer Science to prepare students for meaningful employment and graduate school opportunities. Students benefit from the University’s resources and faculty expertise in artificial intelligence, data science, machine learning, and quantum computing.
Explore different career pathways in computer science!
STAY UP TO DATE ON SLACK
Join the Careers in Computer Science community of students and alumni on Slack!
UChicago alumni and current students can use this platform to discuss careers in computer science and technology.
Conversations on the platform include:
- #introductions: Introduce yourself and get to know your fellow Maroons
- #jobs-board: Post job openings or internship opportunities available at your company
- #interview-practice: Offer advice about recruiting, or offer to practice coding challenges with students for the technical interview
- #side-projects: Tell us about an exciting side project you’re working on, or connect with others who might be interested
- #article-sharing: Get a discussion going on a topic related to computer science and technology
- #events: Share relevant events hosted by your company or communities
If you're ready to connect, learn and share, join here!
Get Expert Support
Careers in Computer Science provides personalized advising with an industry expert. Students receive support with exploring different career paths, identifying summer opportunities, and preparing resumes and cover letters. Students can make an appointment online through UChicago Handshake.
Build Your Skills: Competitions, Workshops, and Immersion Experiences
To help students refine their skills and demonstrate their talents to employers, Careers in Computer Science organizes a variety of experiential learning opportunities, including internships, competitions, recruiting forum “speed networking” events, and Career Exploration Week immersion experiences for new first-year students.
These events include:
- Computer Science and Data Science Explorer Program in San Francisco, CA
- UChicago Tech Community Challenge in Chicago, IL
- UChicago Tech Showcases in Chicago, IL
- Tech Career Skills Workshops in Chicago, IL
- GitHub and Python/Java Workshops in Chicago, IL
- Conferences such as the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing, Lesbians Who Tech Summit, AfroTech, Queer Design Club Summit, and more around the United States
- Code & Coffee Networking Events in Chicago, IL and NYC
- Imposter Syndrome Workshops and Neurodivergent in Tech Workshops in Chicago, IL
- Chicago Quantum Recruiting Forum in Chicago, IL
Meet Employers and Visit Top Tech Markets
In addition to the rapidly growing tech sector in Chicago, Careers in Computer Science offers career “treks” to connect students with employers throughout the U.S. and around the world. These treks bring students to leading tech destinations such as Silicon Valley, Boston, New York, Shenzhen, and Tel Aviv.
Tech Recruiting: Put Your Best Foot Forward
Careers in Computer Science partners with the Department of Computer Science to offer Tech Career Workshops that provide training in technical skills, give students the opportunity to practice technical interviews, and bring tech recruiters onsite to offer tips and feedback. Workshop content includes hands-on opportunities such as coding challenges, resume and cover letter reviews, and an introduction to the technical recruiting process.
Learn more about technical recruiting including technical roles, resumes, personal projects, interviewing, and networking here.
Gain Hands-On Experience
UChicago’s Jeff Metcalf Internship Program provides 4,200 paid, substantive internships to students each year across a variety of career fields. Careers in Computer Science works closely with employers ranging from early-stage startups to multinational tech giants to create computer science Metcalf internships for students. Employer partners include:
- Akuna Capital
- Argonne National Laboratory
- Code Your Dreams
- TechLit Africa
- Bank of America
Computer Science Outcomes
UChicago’s Computer Science graduates go on to launch impactful careers at top organizations and pursue advanced studies around the world.
In recent years, 84% of graduating computer science students went into industry and 16% into graduate school.
Below are some of the amazing employers who hire our students for internship and full-time roles in computer science and technology:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oracle Data Cloud
U.S. Department of Transportation
United Nations Population Fund
To learn more about the program, please contact Brianne Caplan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employers and Alumni
Our computer science programs could not succeed without the support of alumni and experienced professionals. If you are an employer or technology professional, consider getting involved in the following ways: taking part in career exploration events or treks, hosting an intern, and donating to the program. If you are interested in any of these options or have ideas of your own, please contact Bri Caplan at email@example.com.