Interested in applying to STEM graduate programs? Schedule an appointment with a career adviser to discuss the application process and required materials as you explore programs of interest. Keep an eye out for events to learn more through Career Advancement, the College Center for Research and Fellowships, and your department. Schools and programs of interest also offer information sessions that provide valuable information and recommendations to prospective graduate students.
Click here to view a recording of a previous panel featuring recent STEM PhD applicants from UChicago. Student submitted questions were used to guide this discussion with PhD candidates from a variety of STEM fields about their experience applying to PhD programs. View the recording to hear recommendations and answers to commonly asked questions about the graduate school application process and required materials:
- What should I be looking for in a graduate school?
- How did you find schools of interests as well as potential advisers at those institutions?
- What are the criteria on which a graduate school application is evaluated? What makes for a strong application?
- How did you craft a strong statement of purpose?
- What do grad school interviews look like and what are the best ways to prepare for these interviews?
- Did you reach out to potential faculty members of interest when you were applying?
- How did you prepare for and approach the GRE?
- What general recommendations do you have for students going through this application process?
4+1 JOINT DEGREE PROGRAMS - UCHICAGO ACCELERATED SCHOLARS
Take your career to the next level with a master’s degree from UChicago. The UChicago Accelerated Scholar (UAS) program provides early admission, scholarships, and summer internship funding for eligible programs. Learn more here.