Careers in Policy and Social Impact welcomes all students who are interested in making an impact on the world through internships and beyond graduation. Students pursue careers in a broad range of fields including think tanks, local and federal government, global health, human rights as well as with the quickly evolving sectors in sustainability, corporate social responsibility, impact and non-profit consulting, and economic development. For all these areas, program advisers offer guidance and industry expertise to help students identify public policy and service opportunities best suited to their skills and interests.
Schedule an Appointment
Advising appointments are one-on-one meetings. Students can make an appointment through Handshake to have a strategic conversation about their career, prepare the best application materials possible, find resources to search for internships and jobs, or sharpen their interview skills.
Our team of expert advisors includes professionals with experience in government, public policy, advocacy, and global health. All of our advisors can speak to you about policy and social impact careers, but they also have discipline-area expertise as well:
- Will Lutterman, Program Director. Will works with students specifically interested in think tanks, social service, and green careers. He has a background working in social impact consulting, energy, and government.
- Maha Ezalarab, Senior Assistant Director. Maha works closely with students interested in global health and health equity. She has a public health and global health background working in internationally-focused organizations.
- Tala Ali-Hasan, Assistant Director. Tala collaborates with students who are interested generally in public policy and policy graduate school. She has a background in Chicago nonprofits and is a graduate of the College and Harris School of Public Policy.
Sign-up for an appointment with any of our advisors to get started!
Careers in Policy and Social Impact provides several ways for you to stay in touch and to learn about opportunities and activities in policy and social impact. Sign-up for all of our relevant, weekly newsletters. Our newsletters include:
- Careers in Policy and Social Impact. A weekly newsletter about the opt-in Fried Public Policy and Service Program cohort and a second weekly newsletter on internships and jobs in policy and social impact.
- UChicago Climate and Energy Careers. A weekly newsletter on experiential education, internships, and jobs in sustainability and the environment.
- Global Health and Health Policy. A weekly newsletter with all of Career Advancement’s opportunities in Global Health!
Apply for Internships
Careers in Policy and Social Impact will help you identify internship opportunities to build professional skills and industry expertise. Organizations that have hosted UChicago students for internships include the Alliance for the Great Lakes, Human Rights Watch, Milken Institute, Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, African Federation for Emergency Medicine, the Robin Hood Foundation, Juvenile Protective Association, Brookings Institution, and many others.
There are a variety of ways to learn about hundreds of opportunities we help to facilitate and post, including:
- Sign-up for an advising appointment on Handshake.
- Sign-up for all of our weekly newsletters, as well as the weekly Metcalf newsletter will an exhaustive list of all Jeff Metcalf Internships.
- Filter for “2022-2023 Metcalfs” on Handshake while searching for internships.
Join a Program
Responding to students’ diverse interests, Careers in Policy and Social Impact offers many cohort-based programs, each designed to guide students in their career path, help to build skills, hone interests, and sharpen applications for internships and full-time jobs. Click on any of the program names to learn more about the program and how to participate!
Open, Opt-In Programs
You can join these programs at any time!
- Fried Public Policy and Service Program. The Fried Public Policy and Service Program is designed to provide a diverse range of career resources for mission-driven students, including professional development events, career treks, and networking opportunities.
- UChicago Democracy Careers. Career Advancement is excited to launch UChicago Democracy Careers, an initiative of the Fried Public Policy and Service Program designed to accelerate the careers of students interested in working on democracy issues.
- UChicago Green Careers. UChicago Green Careers is an open-participation track that supports students who are interested in environmental and sustainability careers.
- Global Health Careers. Global Health at Career Advancement has a variety of ways to engagement and develop as a global health professional through programs, fellowships, and challenges.
Selective Track Cohorts
We’d love to have you apply for one of our selective track programs. Check the program webpage for the application timeline.
- Public Policy Leaders Program. The Public Policy Leaders Program is a three-year, selective track offered for students who are ambitious about pursuing public sector and social impact careers.
- Luther H. Foster, Jr. Public Service Internship Program. The Luther H. Foster, Jr. Public Service Internship Program provides career resources, leadership development, and funded internship opportunities for students who are dedicated to promoting the success of underrepresented populations in public interest careers, including government, policy, think tanks, nonprofits, and social service.
- Social Sector Leaders Program. Offered in partnership with UChicago's Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice, the Social Sector Leaders Program is a one-year selective track for a cohort of undergraduate students
- Pozen Human Rights Internship Program. The Careers in Policy and Social Impact team partners closely with the Pozen Family Center for Human Rights to offer internship opportunities to students exploring global human rights.
- Pozen Global Health Scholars Program. The Global Health Scholars Program is a selective track that introduces undergraduates to a broad scope of functions needed in the field of health equity
- Kiphart Collegiate Fellows Program. The Kiphart Collegiate Fellows Program provides students with stipends to support experiential learning internships in global health and social development, with a preferred focus on the Global South.
- Green Data Program. The Green Data Program is an early engagement program for first and second-year students to accelerate their professional development at the nexus of data, public policy, and sustainability.
Support Our Students
The continued support of alumni plays an integral role in the success of students involved in Careers in Policy and Social Impact. We welcome employers to engage by speaking with students, joining career panels, hosting an intern or extern, or making a gift to the program. If you are interested in any of these options or would like to get involved in other ways, please contact Will Lutterman, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Careers in Policy and Social Impact, please contact Will Lutterman, Program Director, at email@example.com