Career Advancement facilitates programs and events that offer employers early access to UChicago talent.
John W. Rogers, Jr. Internship Program in Finance
The John W. Rogers, Jr. Internship Program in Finance provides career resources and funded internship opportunities for students interested in financial services. The program connects employers with exceptionally talented UChicago internship candidates, many of whom come from underrepresented backgrounds. All student participants have received extensive training for internships with nonprofit endowments and investment offices. Nonprofit endowments and investment offices in all geographic locations are welcome to participate. To host an intern or find out more information about the program, please contact Patrick Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The John W. Rogers, Jr. Internship Program in Finance is supported by a generous gift from John W. Rogers, Jr., LAB’76, Chairman and CEO of Ariel Investments and University Trustee.
Hire an Odyssey Metcalf Intern
Discover a dynamic pool of new talent through the University of Chicago’s Odyssey Metcalf Internship Program! As part of UChicago’s No Barriers initiative, designed to increase college access and meaningful career outcomes for students with the highest need, Odyssey Metcalf Internships are a special sub-set of internships offered to high-achieving first-year undergraduates from low and middle income backgrounds.
Download the Odyssey Employer overview to learn more about getting involved with the Odyssey Metcalf Internship Program.
Contact Cristina Rodriguez at email@example.com to learn more about the Odyssey Metcalf Internship Program.
Career Exploration Week
Career Exploration Week is a series of four-day programs in a variety of locations and industries designed to give incoming students the chance to explore a career and meet alumni and professionals.
- The Business Explorer Program | NYC, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.: The Business Explorer Programs offer incoming students the chance to explore a variety of business career options through on-site experiences with top industry firms, business leaders, and young professionals in the UChicago network.
- Digital Media Exploration Program | Austin, TX: Students interested in exploring the multifaceted world of digital media will gain insight into careers through visits with employers, industry experts, and members of the UChicago community.
- Entrepreneurship Explorer Program | San Francisco, CA: On this career exploration trek to the San Francisco Bay Area, students will explore Silicon Valley’s unique culture of innovation while engaging with UChicago alumni entrepreneurs.
- Exploring the Legal Profession Program | New York, NY: Students eager to gain early exposure to careers in law will experience the practice of law in New York and will be able to explore their interests by engaging with UChicago alumni who are judges, prosecutors, and corporate and nonprofit attorneys among others and gaining insight into the law school experience.
- Journalism, Cinematic Arts, & Media Exploration Program | Los Angeles, CA: This career exploration program will give students the opportunity to learn about the journalism, cinematic arts, and media sectors in Los Angeles through visits to a variety of organizations and meetings with industry professionals and UChicago alumni.
- Public Policy Explorer Program | Washington, D.C.: Through on-site visits at nonprofits, government agencies, and other policy organizations in Washington, DC, students will gain firsthand exposure to public interest careers and connect with members of the UChicago community.
- Technology Explorer Program | New York, NY: This immersive program will offer students the chance to explore careers in technology, software engineering, and data analytics, in several areas including startups, fintech, and healthcare. The program will leverage visits with industry professionals, employers, and UChicago alumni.
- Technology and Entrepreneurship Explorer Program | Hong Kong: This immersive program in Hong Kong will offer students the chance to explore careers in technology, entrepreneurship, software engineering, and data analytics, in several areas including startups, fintech, and healthcare. The program will leverage visits with industry professionals, employers, and UChicago alumni in the Hong Kong region.
Employers interested in hosting students on a site visit should contact Allana Tachauer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Engaging with these students is a great way to identify early talent to a group of students and showcase your firm.
Host a Trek
Our students. Your Campus.
Treks are a unique recruiting tool designed to connect employers directly with students. Throughout the academic year, Career Advancement’s trek program sends groups of 15-25 students to cities throughout the United States and around the world to visit top employers in the area. Participating organizations host students on-site for a one to two hour visit. The specific agenda is at the employer’s discretion, but some common site visit activities include discussion panels with current staff members, presentations on professional opportunities available at the organization, and time for answering student questions.
Treks are an efficient, low-commitment way for employers to:
- Connect with a pool of talented, high-achieving students
- Build their organization’s brand among UChicago students
- Promote internship and full-time job opportunities
- Mentor young professionals interested in their career field
To learn more about the trek program and how employers can get involved, please contact Erwin Paderanga at email@example.com.
Job Shadowing Program
The Job Shadowing Program gives undergraduates the opportunity to shadow UChicago alumni, family members, and employers at their place of work during winter, spring, and summer breaks. During a job shadowing experience, also known as an "externship", students get a firsthand look at the daily life in their field of interest, expand their professional network, and identify possible career paths.
Job Shadowing experiences give you the opportunity to support UChicago’s talented students as they launch their careers. During a job shadowing opportunity, undergraduate students shadow an employer host at their place of work for 1-5 days. This program offers you the chance to connect with high-achieving students at no cost. This is a fantastic opportunity to mentor students interested in your career field and maybe even find your next intern!
Please note that students wish to shadow around the world in a variety of industries: you do not need to be based in or around Chicago to participate. Typically, we see the highest volume of applicants looking for positions in or around major metro areas.
Previous hosts include: Amazon, the American Medical Association, the Art Institute of Chicago, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, DigitasLBi, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, Google, Morgan Stanley, the Museum of Contemporary Art, POLITICO, and many more.
Job shadowing opportunities are unpaid, and students are responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel, housing, meals, etc.
For more information, please visit here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.