Learn new technical skills and build a portfolio you can share with employers at the UChicago Tech Showcase! Organized by the Careers in Computer Science program, the UChicago Tech Showcase is a friendly competition open to all College students.
The UChicago Tech Showcase has two components: a project work period lasting several weeks and a final showcase where students present on their projects to a panel of expert judges.
Thank you to our 2021 competition judges:
- Malika Aubakirova (AB ’17), Software Engineer at Google Chronicle
- Derrick Davis (AB ’14), Senior Manager, Membership at 1871
- Adam Gluck (AB ’14), CEO and Founder at Copia Automation
How it Works
- Students can work individually or in teams
- Teams identify a challenge and design a technical solution that will make a positive contribution
- Students can work on problems in any area (e.g., healthcare, climate change) and can submit any type of technical project, including apps, machine learning algorithms, and internet of things devices
- During the competition period, students have access to mentors and office hours to support all aspects of their projects, including technical troubleshooting, product design, and presentations consulting
- On the day of the final Tech Showcase, students gather to celebrate each other’s work and present their projects to a panel of special guest judges, mentors, and employer partners
Potential technical skills students can learn include programming languages like Python and Go, frameworks like React.js and Django, databases like MongoDB and MySQL, web services like AWS and GCP, design tools like Figma and Sketch, and project management tools like GitHub and Jira.
The 2021 final showcase will take place on Friday, May 21. On Thursday, May 20 Careers in Computer Science will also host a “Preparing for Technical Careers” event open to all students. The event will include:
- A workshop teaching everything you need to know A – Z to get started in the tech industry
- A panel of 4th year students reflecting on their technical recruiting journey and learnings
- Current students can RSVP for the May 20 event here.
The next UChicago Tech Showcase will take place in Spring Quarter 2022, and applications will open in Winter Quarter 2022. Students who are interested in the 2022 UChicago Technical Showcase should subscribe to the Careers in Computer Science listhost for updates and application announcements.
Opportunities for Alumni and Employers
We welcome employers and alumni to participate as judges, mentors, and sponsors for the Tech Showcase program.
As an employer or alumni participant, you receive a special tech resume book and the chance to share career opportunities at your organization with students.
For more information about the UChicago Tech Showcase, please contact Brianne Caplan, Program Director for Careers in Computer Science, at firstname.lastname@example.org.