CHOOSING WHERE YOU WANT TO APPLY
Researching and compiling your list of schools can be one of the most exciting steps in the medical school application process! UChicago applicants apply to an average of 25 schools. Consider the following factors as you draft your list:
- How do your academic interests and accomplishments match the schools’ expectations?
- What experiences and commitments does this school prefer?
- Is the school's culture a good match for your values?
- Is the school in an urban, suburban, or rural location? Which of these will best meet your interests?
- What communities will the location allow you to serve?
- What clinical opportunities does this area offer?
- Consider the lifestyle you can lead in each school’s location.
Mission and Vision
- What is the school’s mission? How do you contribute to it?
- Review the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) and school websites to find mission statements.
- Review the current student life section of the school’s website.
- What is the school’s most common teaching style (lecture/lab or small group, block or classic course load, system, organ, or problem-based)?
- How is clinical integrated into the curriculum?
- What type of engagement is available for you in the surrounding academic community?
- What types of research opportunities are available?
- What type of personal support will you have (i.e., proximity to family and close friends)?
- What resources (advising, societies, and academic resources) does the office of medical education offer to the student body?
- In addition to tuition, what is the cost of living in the school’s location (i.e., housing, food, transportation, entertainment, etc.)?
- What financial aid is available?
- Consider the differences between state school vs. private school.
Letters and School List Workshop: This workshop helps applicants identify letter writers and craft a school list. It covers what whom they should ask and how to ask. It also helps students understand how to evaluate whether a school is a good fit for them as well as how to use MSAR to evaluate their competitiveness for individual schools. Held in February each year.
The Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR)
Schedule an Appointment with a Healthcare Adviser