Through the Jeff Metcalf Internship Program, UChicago students receive more than 2,500 paid, substantive internships during the summer and academic year.
Who is Jeff Metcalf?
The Jeff Metcalf Internship Program was established in 1997 in honor of Harold “Jeff” Metcalf (AM ’53), who was Dean of Students at the Graduate School of Business from 1956 – 1975 and Director of Athletics from 1976 – 1981. In both of these roles, he was a mentor and friend to students and had a profoundly positive impact on their lives and careers. The Jeff Metcalf Internship Program pays tribute to Jeff’s dedication to helping students both within the University and beyond.
If it weren’t for Jeff Metcalf, I would not be in the career I am in now. He counseled, advised, arranged for us to make connections and interviews, and generally showed us the way to the wider world. He used his vast contacts as Dean of Students of the Graduate School of Business and later University Athletics Director to impact the career choices of so many of us. Jeff connected me to my first summer internship after sophomore year and completely changed my life.
– Byron D. Trott, AB ’81, MBA ’82 BDT Capital Partners
What is a Metcalf internship?
A Jeff Metcalf internship is a project-based, substantive paid opportunity with employers across industries during the academic year and the summer. Career Advancement works closely with an established network of reputable employers across the world to vet opportunities and offer these quality experiences to University of Chicago College students.
What are the benefits of a Metcalf internship?
Career Advancement works closely with Metcalf employers to ensure a high-quality, project-based experience at your host site.
Additionally, you can expect:
- Summer internship kickoff workshops focused on making the most of your summer
- Invitation to summer networking events in key cities
- Support throughout the summer from Career Advancement
How do I find a Metcalf internship?
To search for Metcalf internships:
- Log in to your UChicago Handshake account
- Click "Jobs"
- Select "Filters"
- In the dropdown menu, scroll down to "Labeled by Your School"
- Select “2018-19 metcalf internship.”
Career Advancement publishes a weekly newsletter highlighting key Metcalf opportunities with upcoming deadlines, as well as a comprehensive spreadsheet with all available positions. You are encouraged to sign up for the newsletter here.
What are my responsibilities as a Metcalf intern?
All Metcalf interns are required to submit a survey of their academic year and summer experience(s). Your reflections and evaluation are extremely important as they capture your experience and are a great way to share your successes with other UChicago students seeking similar opportunities. Survey responses may be shared with alumni, donors, and University leaders whose support is critical to offering this program to University of Chicago students.
Upon accepting a Metcalf internship, you will receive a Jeff Metcalf Internship Program letter to your UChicago email that includes the details of your internship and helpful information.
Please visit here for an overview of the responsibilities of Metcalf interns. Thank you for representing the University of Chicago during your internship and research experience!
- You can make an appointment on Handshake to prepare your materials for Metcalf internship applications. Career Advancement also offers walk-in appointments during the academic year on Monday – Fridays from 3:00 – 4:45 p.m.
- Heading to any of the following cities for your Metcalf internship? These helpful city guides offer tips and information about living and working in these locations.