Get a Head Start on Your Summer - Apply for Internship Funding!
Career Advancement is pleased to help students reach their career goals with the Jeff Metcalf Fellowship Grant and the Odyssey Metcalf Fellowship Grant. Both programs provide funding for summer internships in any industry. Remote internships are eligible for grant funding.
As an added bonus, limited funds are also available to support academic-year internships, on-campus internships, and supervised research internships. Examples of supervised research include laboratory internships with Pritzker School of Medicine faculty members, policy internships at the Harris School of Public Policy’s UChicago Urban Labs, and legal internships at the Law School’s clinics.
The Jeff Metcalf Fellowship Grant also includes a dedicated pool of limited funding for students with paid internships who need additional funds for their living expenses. Students who have secured a paid internship in areas with a high cost of living may apply to the Jeff Metcalf Fellowship Grant for “top off” funding to supplement their base stipend.
In addition to the Metcalf Fellowship grants, there are a wide variety of funding opportunities available across campus. Download the funding opportunities guide for more information.
All undergraduates are eligible to apply for the Metcalf Fellowship Grant, and second through fourth year Odyssey Scholars are eligible to apply for the Odyssey Metcalf Fellowship Grant.
To apply for unpaid internship funding, students will submit a resume and application form through:
All students interested in requesting supplementary cost-of-living funding for paid internships (including Odyssey Scholars) should apply using the Jeff Metcalf Fellowship Grant listing on Handshake. In addition to the regular grant application requirements, students will be asked to complete a standardized budget sheet (available for download on Handshake) detailing their expected income and expenses.
Second through fourth year Odyssey Scholars seeking funding for unpaid internships should apply for the Odyssey Metcalf Fellowship Grant.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis during the following time period for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Applications open: Monday, November 25, 2019
- Applications close: Friday, May 15, 2020
Stipends will range between $500 and $5,000. The amount will be determined based on your application materials, the number of hours you work per week, and the total number of hours of your entire internship.
Eligible Internship Experiences
To qualify for funding, proposed opportunities must meet the standards of the Jeff Metcalf Internship Program. Detailed eligibility criteria are available on the Handshake listing.
Student grant applications are reviewed holistically. The criteria below may be used as a guideline for the application review process:
- Mission of the organization, and goals and responsibilities of the internship or research position should be clearly outlined and demonstrate the quality and depth of the experience.
- Alignment of the internship or research opportunity to the student’s professional and academic goals. Materials should clearly convey how the internship will advance the student’s skills, experience, and knowledge and/or is relevant to the student’s post-graduation success.
- Students must have access to a direct supervisor or faculty member who will be physically present where the student is working, and provide ongoing support and mentorship.
- Consideration will be given to student’s resume, class year, major, and past professional experiences and extracurricular activities as it relates to the opportunity.
- Coherence, accuracy, and organization of the student’s resume, cover letter, and other supporting materials.
- If applicable, strength of letter of recommendation.
- Ability to describe why funding is important for the student’s situation. For grants that request this information, extenuating circumstances or hardships may be taken into consideration.
Contact Eugene Chan at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the Metcalf Fellowship Grant.
Contact Bethany Pacheco at email@example.com for questions about the Odyssey Metcalf Fellowship Grant.