The Jeff Metcalf Internship Program is the premier internship program at the University of Chicago. A national model for university internship programs for more than a quarter-century, the Metcalf Program provides paid, substantive internships for students in the College. Students receive more than 4,400 Metcalf internships each year across a highly diverse range of industries and geographic locations.
How to Find Metcalf Internships
To search for Metcalf internships:
- Log in to your UChicago Handshake account
- Click "Jobs"
- Click "All Filters"
- In the dropdown menu, scroll down to "Labeled by Your School"
- Select “2023-24 metcalf”
Career Advancement publishes a weekly newsletter, highlighting Metcalf opportunities with upcoming deadlines, as well as a comprehensive spreadsheet with all available positions. Stay informed and sign up for the newsletter!
Career Advancement supports students at every stage of the Metcalf experience with:
- Personalized internship advising and application reviews
- Situational support and guidance during the internship
- Opportunities to share feedback, including a mid-summer check-in survey and an end-of-summer evaluation
Students can receive compensation in three ways:
- Payment by the Host Organization
- Employer will pay students directly and handle all onboarding procedures.
- Metcalf stipend from Career Advancement
- UChicago will offer funding to help students offset their living expenses. A standard stipend amount for full-time experiences will be $4,000.
- Any internship of 8 weeks or more (320+ hours) is considered a full-time experience.
- Grant for student-secured internships
Program History and Legacy
Visit this page to learn how generations of UChicago alumni have launched successful careers through the Metcalf Program!