The Jeff Metcalf Internship Program is the premier internship program at the University of Chicago. A national model for university internship programs for more than a quarter-century, the Metcalf Program provides paid, substantive internships for students in the College. Students receive more than 4,200 Metcalf internships each year across a highly diverse range of industries and geographic locations.
How to Find Metcalf Internships
To search for Metcalf internships:
- Log in to your UChicago Handshake account
- Click "Jobs"
- Click "All Filters"
- In the dropdown menu, scroll down to "Labeled by Your School"
- Select “2022-23 metcalf”
Career Advancement publishes a weekly newsletter, highlighting Metcalf opportunities with upcoming deadlines, as well as a comprehensive spreadsheet with all available positions. Stay informed and sign up for the newsletter!
Career Advancement supports students at every stage of the Metcalf experience with:
- Personalized internship advising and application reviews
- Situational support and guidance during the internship
- Opportunities to share feedback, including a mid-summer check-in survey and an end-of-summer evaluation
Students can receive compensation in three ways:
- Payment by the Host Organization
- Employer will pay students directly and handle all onboarding procedures.
- Metcalf stipend from Career Advancement
- UChicago will offer funding to help students offset their living expenses. A standard stipend amount for full-time experiences will be $4,000.
- Grant for student-secured internships
Starting in summer 2023, College-funded Metcalf internships can be 8 weeks long and be considered full-time. This gives students extra time to travel, visit family, or pursue additional work opportunities!
Program History and Legacy
Visit this page to learn how generations of UChicago alumni have launched successful careers through the Metcalf Program!