Career Advancement staff members provide personalized advising to students and alumni of the College who have graduated within the past five years, whether they are on or off-campus. Career advisers are currently available for in-person, e-mail, phone and virtual appointments.
Note: If you’re a graduate student, or alumnus of a graduate program, please contact UChicagoGrad for information on career advising.
Students pursuing nationally competitive fellowships and undergraduate research opportunities supported by the College Center for Research and Fellowships (CCRF) should consult the CCRF website and follow specific guidelines and recommendations. Career Advancement does not provide application support, personal statement/essay review, or advising appointments for these opportunities.
If you are interested in making an appointment for a practice interview, please visit the Practice Interview Program page for more information on how to schedule an appointment.
How to Schedule an Advising Appointment
You can make an appointment with a career adviser online through UChicago Handshake! To book an advising appointment online, follow these steps:
- Log in to UChicago Handshake.
- Click on "Career Center" on the top menu.
- Click “Appointments”
- Click "Schedule a New Appointment."
- Select the appropriate appointment category.
- First-year students seeking to meet with their assigned adviser should select "1st Year Assigned Adviser Appointment."
- Alumni seeking to make an appointment should select “Alumni Career Advising”
- Select the appointment type that best describes what you'd like to discuss.
- If it's your first appointment with Career Advancement and you're wondering how you can get started, select the "General Career Advising" category!
- Choose an appointment date and time that works well with your schedule. If you'd like to meet with a specific adviser, click "Staff Member" at the top and select the adviser to see their availability.
- Choose your preferred appointment format from the available options (in-person, phone, virtual, etc.).
- Briefly describe what you'd like to discuss during the appointment.
- Click "Request."
- If necessary, you may also cancel your appointment through UChicago Handshake. To cancel your appointment, click on "Appointments," select the appointment you need to cancel, and then click the red "Cancel Appointment" button. Please be sure to provide as much notice as possible if you need to cancel an appointment.
You will receive a confirmation once your appointment is approved. If your appointment will be in-person, please review this office map in advance to identify where in Ida Noyes Hall (1212 E. 59th Street) to meet your career adviser. If your appointment will be virtual, you will receive Zoom details from the adviser in advance of the meeting. Finally, if this is your first appointment, please have a copy of your resume ready to be reviewed as well.