UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO STAMPS SCHOLARS PROGRAM
About the Program
UChicago partners with the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation to offer the Stamps Scholars Program, which recognizes exceptional students who exemplify leadership, perseverance, scholarship, service, and innovation. The Stamps Scholars Program provides enrichment grants that allow students to take on ambitious experiential learning projects during their third and fourth years.
Award Amount and Eligible Opportunities
Stamps Scholars receive grants of $20,000 that can be used over the course of their final two years at the University. Selected students can use the funding during both the summer and the academic year beginning in Summer 2019.
Recipients may use these enrichment funds for a wide variety of experiential learning opportunities, including internships, research projects, entrepreneurial endeavors, volunteering, attending professional conferences, and other experiences at the discretion of the University and the Foundation.
Applications will open during Winter Quarter and will be due by 11:55pm on Sunday, April 14, 2019. The application will be posted on UChicago Handshake.
Current second-year College students who plan to graduate in June 2021 are eligible to apply for the Stamps Scholars Program.
Interested students should submit the following materials through UChicago Handshake:
- A resume, no longer than one page. For assistance with preparing a resume, please visit Career Advancement’s Resume & Interview toolkit or schedule an appointment with a career adviser.
- An unofficial transcript, accessible through myUChicago.
A statement of purpose, no longer than two pages, explaining:
- the applicant’s academic and professional goals, especially for their final two years at UChicago
- the project(s) or experience(s) the student plans to use the enrichment funds for if selected as a Stamps Scholar
- the UChicago faculty or staff member whom the student has identified to serve as a mentor and provide support and guidance during the project(s)
- how the student’s prior experiences have prepared them to succeed in the proposed project(s)
- how the project(s) would support their stated goals
- A letter of recommendation from a UChicago faculty or staff member who has agreed to serve as the student’s mentor and can attest to the applicant's character and the viability of their proposed project(s).
Interview with Stamps Foundation
The review committee will nominate a select number of candidates for an interview with the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation, which will make final decisions.
Stamps Scholar Benefits and Responsibilities
Recipients are expected to participate in Stamps Scholars programming both at UChicago and with the national Stamps Scholars network, including:
- New Stamps Scholars Orientation and Welcome Reception in Spring 2019
- Quarterly on-campus discussion seminars on leadership development during the academic year
- The biennial Stamps Scholars National Convention in Spring 2021
Please contact Dan Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the Stamps Scholars Program.