Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to host all 5 days?
No. Scheduling is at the host's discretion. We do ask that the experience be long enough for the student to get a substantive view of your career field, but the job shadowing experience can last anywhere from 1 to 5 days.
Do I have to provide housing or transportation?
Students are responsible for finding their own housing, transportation to the job shadowing site, and for all costs related to the experience.
My work involves confidential information. How do you handle these situations?
If necessary, students can be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. The job shadowing experience can also be designed so that it only involves non-confidential activities.
How is a student matched with me?
Students are matched to a host based on their indicated industry and location preferences, and they’re only offered one job shadowing opportunity.
What should I have my student do?
The specific activities involved in an job shadowing experience vary between host sites, but some common ones include:
- Giving a tour of the facility
- Sharing your career history
- Discussing the student’s career interests and questions
- Providing an overview of your organization's operations and staff divisions
- Inviting the student to observe meetings, conference calls, and other events
- Reviewing the student’s resume, LinkedIn profile, and other professional development materials
- Arranging informational interviews with your colleagues
- Assigning small projects
Essentially, any activity that gives your student a tangible sense of daily life in your field is suitable.
Once I am assigned a student, how will I be put in touch with them?
We will send your student an e-mail with your preferred contact information. The student will then contact you to begin discussing the logistics.
Can I arrange for my student to spend time with people other than me?
Absolutely! We encourage hosts to give a broad view of the professional roles available in their organization and industry. Students also appreciate the opportunity to expand their professional network.