How Can I Figure out if Law is the Right Career for Me?
We recommend the following steps:
- Subscribe to the Careers in Law Newsletter
- Speak with a Careers in Law adviser about your goals and interests by making an appointment on Handshake
- Attend one of the many Careers in Law career exploration programs featuring alumni and professionals from the industry
- Go on a Careers in Law trek—in Chicago and beyond
- Take a law-related course in the College or at the Law School
- Apply for a law-related internship or job shadowing opportunity
- Sign up for the Law Student Mentor Program in the Fall Quarter – you will have the opportunity to sit in on a law school class and obtain valuable advice from students who have recently been where you are
- Network with and learn from alumni in the field – you can find alumni who are willing to speak with students about their career interests through LinkedIn, the UChicago Alumni Directory, and Wisr. If you have difficulty locating alumni or have questions about how to get the most out of these meetings, please speak with a Careers in Law Career Adviser
- Apply for internships and jobs through Handshake and stay up to date on new opportunities by checking out these resources
Applying to Law School?
Check out our law school application toolkit. Careers in Law also offers the following resources as you navigate the application process:
- One-on-one application advising and support
- Law school application workshops
- Representatives from the top law schools visit each fall to help students learn more about specific schools and gain insight into the application process (Fall Quarter)
- UChicago Law Open House (Fall Quarter)
- How to Finance Law School Program (Winter Quarter)
Sign up to receive our Careers in Law Newsletter for important updates about program dates for the coming academic year.