Metcalf FAQ

The following is a list of frequently asked questions regarding the Jeff Metcalf Internship Program. Please refer to these topics before contacting Career Advancement directly.

Applying for Metcalf Internships
Eligibility for Metcalf Internships
General Questions
Internship Offers
Contact Us


Applying for Metcalf Internships

How do I upload my unofficial transcript or test scores to UChicago Handshake?


  1. Log in to your myUChicago account
  2. Click the dropdown icon on the "Academics" tab
  3. Hover over "Academic Records"
  4. Select "View Unofficial Transcript"
  5. In the "Report Type" dropdown menu, select "Unofficial Transcript"
  6. Click "View Report"
  7. Save the document as a pdf
  8. Log in to your UChicago Handshake account
  9. Go to the listing for the job or internship you'd like to apply to
  10. Click "Apply Now" on the righthand side of your screen
  11. Upload the unofficial transcript with the rest of your materials

A quick note on labeling documents: be sure to label each resume, cover letter, transcript, etc. by including the name of the company in the title. This prevents you from uploading the wrong application materials.

Be aware that a large volume of requests can increase the time it takes UChicago Handshake software to upload and convert documents. You are strongly advised not to wait until the final moment before a deadline to upload documents.

Eligibility for Metcalf Internships

Who is eligible to apply for Metcalf internships?

Metcalf internships are available to all current undergraduate students in the College. Individual internships may be restricted to certain types of students depending on the criteria set by the employer. To view hiring criteria for specific internships, please consult the job description in UChicago Handshake.

Can study abroad students apply?

Metcalf opportunities are open to all undergraduate students in the College and thus students studying abroad are encouraged to apply for Metcalf internships. We encourage you to inform the employer that you will be studying abroad in your cover letter and any subsequent email exchanges and ask if they can accommodate a remote interview process. Please note that requests for video interviews are made at the discretion of the employer. In fact, some employers will only conduct in-person interviews. Please check individual postings in UChicago Handshake for details regarding study abroad student eligibility.

Can international students apply?

International students in the College are eligible to apply for many Metcalf internships. If an international student will be paid directly by the employer, the student must apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization for this internship. If CPT is required, please click here or contact the Office of International Affairs at for more information. CPT authorization must be obtained prior to the start of employment.

General Questions

Where can I get help with my application or interview skills?

Career Advancement offers handouts on writing resumes and cover letters in our resume and interview toolkit. Career Advancement also offers one-on-one advising. Make an appointment or stop by our office on the 2nd floor of Ida Noyes Hall during walk-in hours for questions about applying for internships, including cover letter and resume reviews.

You can also schedule an appointment with our Practice Interviewers by calling the front desk at 773-702-7040.

If I missed a Metcalf deadline, may I submit my application after the deadline?

No Metcalf applications will be accepted after the deadline. 

Internship Offers

How long should I take to decide whether to accept an internship offer or not?

Employers typically expect a response to an offer within one (1) week of the day the offer is made. Given the staggered deadlines of the Metcalf program, you may receive an offer for an internship while you are still waiting to hear whether or not you were selected for another internship. We strongly encourage you to contact Career Advancement if this is the case.

Please note that reneging on an offer is grounds for permanent deactivation from on-campus recruiting.


The University is providing this information to make you aware of your personal tax obligations. The University cannot provide personal tax advice to individual students, but if you need help obtaining additional information, please contact Angie Gleghorn at

Students are encouraged to consult with a tax professional for questions on their specific tax situation.

Are Metcalf stipends taxable income?

Yes, Metcalf stipends are considered taxable income with only one exception (more details below). Students may or may not need to file a tax return depending on the total amount of income they received during the tax year of their internship. For more information on whether you need to file a tax return, please visit the Internal Revenue Service website

Students with a tax liability are responsible for reporting their Metcalf income on their U.S. tax return. Depending on the internship location and the student's state of residence, students may also be responsible for paying state or local income tax for their Metcalf stipend. For more information, please consult the appropriate state or local department of revenue (for example, the Illinois Department of Revenue).

Exception: The only students whose Metcalf payments are not subject to U.S. taxation are international students who meet both of the following criteria: (1) non-resident for tax purposes and (2) had a Metcalf internship that was outside of the United States. In this case, your Metcalf stipend is considered foreign-source income and is not subject to U.S. taxation. You may still be responsible for paying income tax to your destination country or home country. For more information on determining whether you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes, please visit this page of the IRS website.

Will I receive a W-2 for my Metcalf stipend?

Students who were paid directly by their Metcalf employer will receive tax documentation from the employer.

Students who had a University-funded Metcalf internship AND received their payment as a lump-sum check will not receive a W-2 or any other tax form. This is considered taxable fellowship income rather than wage income. For more information on taxable fellowship income, please visit this page of the University's financial services website.

If I don't receive a W-2, how should I report my Metcalf stipend on my tax return?

If your Metcalf internship was funded by the University and paid with a lump-sum stipend, please consult the "Reporting Scholarship and Fellowship Grants" section of IRS publication 970 for instructions on how to report this on your tax return. 

What is an estimated tax payment?

If you have income where taxes are not taken out at the time you receive it (for example, nonqualified scholarships, stipends, University-paid student health premiums, and fellowship payments), you may be required to make quarterly estimated income tax payments to the IRS and State of Illinois. These are payments of the estimated income tax you owe on these sources of income, paid quarterly in advance of the date you file your personal income tax return. 

How do I know if I need to make an estimated tax payment?

Federal: You can make these determinations by completing the IRS 1040-ES form.  In general, if you are a domestic student or foreign resident alien for tax purposes and estimate that you will owe more than $1,000 in federal tax, you will need to make an estimated payment. Foreign nonresident aliens already have a federal withholding of 14% and should not be required to submit a federal estimated tax payment.

Illinois State: You can make these determinations by completing the Illinois IL-1040-ES form.  In general, if you are a domestic or foreign student and estimate that you will owe more than $500 in Illinois state income tax, you need to make an estimated payment. 

Where can I find more information on making estimated payments?

Information on making payments, payment mailing address, payment deadlines and making the estimated calculations can be found within the form and instructions on the IRS and Illinois State websites. Please note that if you are required to make estimated tax payments but fail to do so, or do so late, you may owe penalties in addition to the tax.

What are some helpful websites I can visit?

For Domestic Students:

For International Students


Contact Us

If you have any questions that have not been answered above feel free to e-mail